Calling all crafters! If you need to escape the heat this summer, then book yourself in for a ceramic object making workshop with Chela Edmunds, a Melbourne-based artisan who specialises in ceramics.
Chela Edmunds has an extensive background in design – when she completed her studies in textile design at RMIT, she moved to New York and worked in fashion for many years, moving back to Melbourne in 2012 and opening up her own studio in North Melbourne under the pseudonym Takeawei.
The ceramic object making workshop is part of the Craft Victoria’s Summer Workshop series ArtPlay being held from January to March 2015.
Other workshops include slow sewing, tapestry and braided rugs.
Held over three Tuesday evenings for two hours per workshop (6pm to 8pm, 24 February to 10 March, with an additional pick-up class on 17 March) you’ll walk away with five ceramic pieces for your home and the experience and confidence to pursue an interest in creating with ceramics.
The workshops are suited for people of all skills and focuses on techniques (hand forming, carving, mark making and glazing) as well as the creative process, including researching patterns and symbology and drawing on personal influences to create unique pieces.
You can create up to five pieces which can be anything from spoons, drinking and eating vessels, vases and planters and you can work at your own pace – the number of the pieces you end up with depends on the time it takes for you to make them. Sounds like a fun crafternoon!
- Dates: Tuesday 24 February, Tuesday 3 March and Tuesday 10 March; optional pick-up class on Tuesday 17 March.
- Time: 6pm to 8pm
- Venue: This workshop takes place at ArtPlay Building, Birarrung Marr, Behind Federation Square, Melbourne (Melways 1B R12). Recommended parking at Fed Square, $13 per night after 4pm.
- Cost: $320 for members | $350 for non-members (learn how to become a member)
- Tools and materials supplied: clay, glazes slip, basic tool kit, paint brushes
- Tools and materials you must bring: apron or smock, old towel, latex gloves
*Important things to note*
- This workshop is designed for adults over 18 years of age.
- If minimum student numbers are not met, the workshop will not run and you will be issued a full refund. Notification of cancellation of workshop will occur on the Friday prior to the scheduled first session.
- The workshop is not refundable if you change your mind or do not attend.
- Workshops may be photographed for Craft promotion. If you do not wish to be photographed, please let the Craft representative know at the start of the evening.
Craft Victoria is the peak organisation for contemporary art and design. Their mission is to bring together a vibrant and sustainable contemporary craft and design community in Victoria and nationally, which represents, promotes and celebrates all craft practitioners. Learn more about Craft Victoria on their website at www.craftvictoria.org.au.